woodystride Guest

Post A liitle help for those using a Vonets VAP11G wifi bridge

Router Mnfr: Linksys
    Router Model: WRT54GS
    Firmware Version: 4.71.1

Vonets WiFi Bridge
    Model Number: VAP11G
    Software Version: 5.0.19.2

I am not a dealer for this or any other. I have found out a few things that may help others in their frustration in trying to get this wifi bridge connected.

1. Always have the VAP11G connected to your PC prior to powering up your PC. If you are NOT using a separate power supply (5-15VDC) to power up this unit, you probably are using the supplied USB connection for this purpose. That’s all well and good but you should power it from a USB connection on same PC that you have the RJ45 plugged into. This is due to the fact that not all digital ground sources are alike.

2. The VAP11G software recognizes router/hub security configs such as WPA, WPA2, WEP (64bit), WEP (128bit) and of course the disabled security types. When selecting the security type most routers/hubs allow for multiple selection of encryption algorithms. For example, WPA allows for AES and TKIP encryption. For the VAP11G, this can be a problem. For WPA it only recognizes TKIP. For WPA2 it only recognizes AES. If the router/hub selection doesn’t match what the VAP11G will default to, you will not connect to the world wide web. The WEP (64bit) configuration works as normal. The WEP (128bit) does also with the exception of having to “pull down” to the WEP (128bit) selection after the SSID or router/hub is discovered when using WinPcap.

3. The SSID and encryption type/method is retained by the VAP11G and works as advertised as long as you don’t change anything on your router/hub security configuration. I have connected (after configuring on my WinDoze PC) the VAP11G to my Mac laptop without any configuration setup at all. Some routers/hubs will reset when there’s a power outage or if even just powered down. In this case, the router/hub configuration needs to be checked and/or changed.

...footnote...
    I do not know how the quality or longevity of the wireless connection when achieved. Obviously this will have a bearing on it's continued use. I will say that I was able to configure this unit one floor down from my router and received a signal strength of 100%. Whether or not that's true remains to be verified with time.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you find that corrections are in order.
    My 2¢

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

i just solved the big vonets problem. ive seen countless people on forums trying to figure out why there computer wont find the vonets bridge. no mac address shows up and they cant get past step one of the setup of the device "Vonets WiFi Bridge VAP11G"

after hours of pulling my hair out thinking i got ripped off and thinking my computer was a piece of crap i finally figured it out and its sooo simple. i tried the vonets on 2 different 64 bit windows 7 machines before i thought "what if the software only works on a (x86) 32 bit machine" and GUESS WHAT?!?!?!?..... the software simply does not work on a 64 bit OS

oh and i also had to bridge my "wireless network connection" with my "local area connection" for some reason by clicking "change adapter settings" from "network and sharing center"

and i dont know if this helped but i had the newest version of the software winpcap and the newest software from the vonets site

step 1. windows 32 bit (x86) ONLY

step 2. be close to the wireless router next room is ok

step 3. bridge wireless network connection with local area connection from adapter settings in network and sharing center

step 4. uninstall old winPcap and vap11g

step 5. download "NEWEST SOFTWARE" from the vonets website and the winPcap website (disk doesnt work)

step 6. plug in the vonets wireless bridge with the Ethernet cord first and then the usb

step 7. install downloaded software and begin setup

(if it still doesnt work then your wireless router is the problem either its a wireless n only or its old and crappy or something)

step 8. plug into your xbox 360 or other device anywhere in your'e house and enjoy

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

Let me add some information here as well. The above post helped me configure my VoNets device. I finally got the device discovered by the included software. I don't think that it matters if the machine is a 32 or 64 bit machine. I think the deciding
    factor in the detection is to BRIDGE your Network Adapters! (wired + wireless). To do this, with all the network adapters showing,
    select both the Ethernet wired connection and the wireless connection. Either lasso them both or click on one and then shift-click on the second one. Then right-click either of the adapters and select "Bridge Connection" This will create a new connection in your list of network adapters. Once this is showing run the VAP11G program that came on the CD with the device and the device should be displayed - showing the MAC Address and the Device's name. Next click on "Next" and follow the prompts on the remaining screens. Hope this helps!

Thanks also to biometalik for putting me in the right direction!

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

I connected the "Vonets VAP11G" on my “Actiontec Router V2000H” to configure it and to operate. And I see the lights turn orange and blue on the VAP11G.

When I connect the "Vonets VAP11G", which was set, on my "H.264 Network DVR" (for cameras) or on my "Samsung ML-2850", printer lights are orange, the Ethernet jack turns green but that's all.

I see nothing on my computer that tells me that the "H.264 Network DVR" or the printer "Samsung ML-2850" is connected to a network.

I'm not a networking expert so I do not understand what is happening. My router is set to "Local Area Connection". I see nothing more.

How is it that the setup program of the "Vonets VAP11G" see it, but once configured and installed on the printer or on the Network DVR, the PC see nothing?

What should I do to make it work?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

Good day,

I am hoping that you can help me. I have recently bought one of these Vonets VAP11G wireless bridges and am having some trouble getting it working with my printer (HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP). The printer works fine if connect it via an ethernet cable to my router. Also the VAP11G works fine if I connect it to a PC. However when I connect the bridge to the printer, it just doesn't link to the router.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Best regards,

Genaro

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 36x in 32 Posts

so how do I correct my issue then, because I think I am running into problem above. I have security on my cell phone which I use and it shows security of WPA PSK-AES, and it is mentioned that the Vonet does not recognize this correct? Vonet uses TKIP?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gaci View Post
    Good day,

I am hoping that you can help me. I have recently bought one of these Vonets VAP11G wireless bridges and am having some trouble getting it working with my printer (HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP). The printer works fine if connect it via an ethernet cable to my router. Also the VAP11G works fine if I connect it to a PC. However when I connect the bridge to the printer, it just doesn't link to the router.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Best regards,

Genaro
    This is a power problem via USB. I have the same problem, but resolved using a external power supply...

Configured the bridge with my netbook correctly (using USB power), but when connect VAP11G in my DVR all the leds go up okay, but the IP is not found in network. I have disconnect ONLY the USB conector of VAP11G from DVR and connect on netbook´s USB and the network IP of DVR is found in network! To resolve, I put a external power supply (5v) connecting directly on the power input of VAP11G, and not have used the USB plug. Works good.

Looks like that the USB port of DVR not supply the correct power, causing the problem with vonets. 5v is minimum voltage to work.

Hope that helped.

Sorry for my poor english language.

Fernando Carneiro

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

don't know if i'll egt an answer but i'm having problem with the vap11g_setup.exe when i doubl click on it to get it start serching for the network well nothing happen no Windows open it just load and stop. ive tried it on Windows 7 and xp and both do the same thing anyone have the answer to my problem?

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

Just spent 4-5 hours to found out the problem with my gadget. First I spent hours on trying to get the software working from vonet. I found out it was faulty by testning another version from another provider. Secondly, the power from the usb was not enough. I used an external 11 volt source instead and surprised, it worked.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

Had difficulties installing tried versions 5.0.19.2, 5.0.17, and the newest 5.0.32.2. On two different laptops the software wouldnt run or it would run but not detect the bridge may have been network driver interference on the laptops. Finally tried it on a desktop had to use revo uninstaller with the safe removal option to completely clearthe bad winpcap and vap installations. It worked after a couple restarts with version 5.0.32 on wpa2 aes encryption.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 0x in 0 Posts

My issue sounds a little different than what you guys are describing. I successfully installed the software from the disk. Then plugged the wireless bridge into the computer. Ran the configuration program. The program detected the device properly, highlighted it and clicked next. The program then detected my wireless signal in the house, highlighted it and clicked next. The program then showed the configuration that would be finalized, verified it matched my router set-up and clicked next. The program then said configuration was complete, however, still had the orange light and not blue, and the network was not detected.

Tried with updated program downloaded from vonets. attempted to run configuration, but wouldn't even start. restored back to configuration program from disk then downloaded newest winpcap and installed it. results were the same as my initial attempt.

I did not bridge the network connection as I'm not having issues detecting the device or the wireless network during setup.

Any thoughts? Is my bridge adapter FUBAR?

Objective is to be able to set up the bridge then transfer it to my PS3.