Thread: Amana Microwave

ron3033 Guest

Smile Amana Microwave

HPIM0770.jpgHPIM0771.jpg
    Login Freak

Amana Microwave, model RRL-8TD about 28 years old and still works fine. Yes it is old and probably time to splurge for a new one..... more about that later.

This microwave opens like a conventional oven, the door pulls down. The reason we like it is that it is in the pantry in our kitchen which has a 24 inch bi-fold door on it. Thus the microwave can sit on a shelf in the pantry and the door opens downward in the space of the retracted bifold door and is out of site when the bifold door is closed. Therefore it does not hog valuable counter space. It works fine, 900 watts I think, no rotating turntable, only part of the display of the top corner of 89:59 mins does not display in the number 8. The door springs seem to be getting tired, the door interlock switch still is activated okay when the unit is used. Can I get a niversal spring to fit?

Second part, we looked a new microwaves to fit the spot and are not sure if, and how well the style now of the right hand swing open door will fit our pantry. We looked at the Panasonic Inverter, 2.2 cubic feet 1250 watts, model # NNT945SF $159.00 @ wallyworld. But on further reading people liked them until they expired prematurley, they cooked the inverter or a cicuit board failed and cost as much to repair as buy. The a GE Profile, JES2251S5 $240.00, about the same size and it seem to have a number of issues too. It looked like the Kenmore 6633(g) $140 I think??

Can you give any advice as to what may be good and where or what I could do to fix the Amana? I was wondering if the door springs where somewhat like carb return springs used in automobiles? Just an idea?

I think I got the 2 photos attached. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thank You
    Ron3033

phantombeyond Guest

I have similar Amana that almost as old but is heavily shielded. The springs failed on both sides due to the ends breaking. You can find similar springs online or use a visegrip plier and bend a curve on the broken end and reattach. I did it to both sides and it works. If you have weak pressure holding the door then one of the springs is not working. Not sure how to deal with display. Still using it.

ron3033 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by phantombeyond View Post
    I have similar Amana that almost as old but is heavily shielded. The springs failed on both sides due to the ends breaking. You can find similar springs online or use a visegrip plier and bend a curve on the broken end and reattach. I did it to both sides and it works. If you have weak pressure holding the door then one of the springs is not working. Not sure how to deal with display. Still using it.
    Thanks I will get some springs and adjust them to work.
    Ron3033