download.jpg

Erin Mielzynski became the first Canadian woman in more than 40 years to win gold in World Cup slalom racing Sunday. The 21-year-old skier from Guelph, Ont., topped the podium in Ofterschwang, Germany for her first cup victory.
The 21-year-old skier from Guelph, Ont., topped the podium in Ofterschwang, Germany for her first cup victory.
She called the win "a little slice of heaven" after never finishing higher than 13th in other competitions.
"This has been my dream for as long as I can remember," said Mielzynski. "This is more than incredible."
The last Canadian to win gold in the slalom was Betsy Clifford in 1971.
Mielzynski was fifth after Sunday's first run and made up a lot of time at the bottom of her second run to claim victory.
She's a former water-skier who won a silver medal at the 2006 world waterskiing junior championships before focusing full-time on alpine skiing.
Mielzynski's mother, Heather, who is a ski instructor, said her daughter has worked hard for her success.
"Her training has been a hundred per cent ever since she was a little tiny kid," she told CTV News from Georgian Peaks ski club in Collingwood, Ont.
Her father, Andrew, said his daughter used to beg the chairlift operators at the ski hill to allow her one more run at closing time.
"She was just one of those kids who couldn't get off the hill," he said. "She wanted to be on the hill."
Clifford told CTV's Alberta Bureau Chief Janet Dirks that Mielzynski's win will not only boost the young skier's confidence, but also offer hope to the rest of the Canadian ski team.
Speaking to CTV via Skype hours after her victory, Mielzynski called the day "surreal."
"I looked up and when I saw the green light and that my name was at the top of the board, I guess that's when it hit me," she said.
Resi Stiegler of the U.S. finished in a personal-best second place, while Marlies Schild of Austria was third to win the slalom World Cup title for the season.

With files from The Canadian Press