Thanks
    Thanked 197x in 76 Posts
    Items Tractor
Gift received at 05-02-2020, 12:49 AM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 04-23-2020, 11:57 PM from Bluegrass
Gift received at 04-11-2020, 10:10 PM from Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg1 View Post
    yes that what i have been saying, BOTH are looping, i bought new 3 ghz quad shielded rg6, made new connectors over the weekend, doubt 2 different sets of F connectors and still looping.
    it's very simple to test if it's the cable or the LNB

power everything off
    leave the RG6 connected to the receiver, go out and disconnect the cable from the LNB
    go back and power up the receiver, if it still boot loops then it's your cable if it doesn't then it's the LNB

you should have paid attention to auggies very first post in this thread and you would have found your problem within minutes ...

EDIT : power everything off should be replaced with unplug your receiver ....
    Last edited by really_troubled; 05-08-2023 at 06:44 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to really_troubled For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 21x in 11 Posts

I will try your test, however i did follow auggies very first post, i took the DL apart, even switched dl200 to a known working module.
    *edit* even swapped LNBs, from 2 to 1 quad.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg1 For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 197x in 76 Posts
    Items Tractor

I will try your test, however i did follow auggies very first post, i took the DL apart, even switched dl200 to a known working module.
    *edit* even swapped LNBs, from 2 to 1 quad.
    auggie told you to hook directly to 91 without the module installed ...

he didn't say swap modules and add a quad lnb into the mix

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 197x in 76 Posts
    Items Tractor

just for clarity

if you had followed auggies advice and came back and said it didn't work hooked direcly to 91, you would have then been told to try the other lnb, if that still didn't work you would have been told to check the cable by itself ...

like NBS told you right at the start... it's a process of elimination, auggie was giving you the starting point and would have helped you through the process of elimination, but he can't do that if you don't do what he tells and then reply back with the results

it's still possible that it's a power supply issue but I find that highly unlikely when 2 different receivers and power supplies were doing the same thing
    Last edited by really_troubled; 05-10-2023 at 10:54 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to really_troubled For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,148x in 5,731 Posts
    Items helicopter
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassJeep
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassCrown Royal
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from BluegrassSome beer
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM from Bluegrasstreasure chest
Gift received at 12-23-2019, 05:52 PM from Bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by really_troubled View Post
    just for clarity

if you had followed auggies advice and came back and said it didn't work hooked direcly to 91, you would have then been told to try the other lnb, if that still didn't work you would have been told to check the cable by itself ...

like NBS told you right at the start... it's a process of elimination, auggie was giving you the starting point and would have helped you through the process of elimination, but he can't do that if you don't do what he tells and then reply back with the results

it's still possible that it's a power supply issue but I find that highly unlikely when 2 different receivers and power supplies were doing the same thing
    The "diagnostic routine" doesn't come easily to all bro.This really is a simple diagnosis.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Noof For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,291x in 2,137 Posts
    Items BurgerA Beertreasure chestPresentRainbowRepWireless AccessTreasure

Some times the "KISS Method" is the way too Go when you are trying to fix something...........lol lol

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auggie For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 197x in 76 Posts
    Items Tractor

in fairness to jeffg1, swapping out the lnb and cable usually works if the cable and lnb are good,
    however, in this case it just added to his frustration ...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to really_troubled For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742x in 452 Posts

>Eliminate the RG6< Disconnect both ends and use a Fluke meter to see if there is a short between the threaded part of the F-Connector (Ground) and at center copper core. It should be open. If it is open then short out the other end and check again for >0< ohm's. Remove you self induced short & if both check ok the cable is good. The power supply (the one that plugs into the wall) can cause many different problems including constant reboot if supplied CURRENT is not enough. Voltage will check OK but current won't. After eliminating the RG6 you can hook up an LNB. It does not have to be mounted in the dish, just to the other end of the RG6 and see if you still have reboot problem. If it don't then hookup to the dish. If it starts rebooting then your problem is in the dish or power supply.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to staticrider For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 197x in 76 Posts
    Items Tractor

I agree that a multi meter (or a sat meter that has the capability) is the best option when checking cables

but there is no doubt that the receiver will let you know if the cable is shorted ... obviously not the best option because it will stress the power supply but I doubt connecting it 1 more time will hurt it at this point

it's worth pointing out that this appears to be a new install, a short in the coax is actually quite rare and IMO is always associated with human error

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 21x in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by really_troubled View Post
    just for clarity

As i did report back, that i tried each LNB individually, on both sats 91 and 82. Why would i replace skip straight to swapping out the DL 200 module if i didn't test it with and without it? I have been around alot longer then you may think.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 21x in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by auggie View Post
    Some times the "KISS Method" is the way too Go when you are trying to fix something...........lol lol
    It may seem simple to you, however, as i have noted only thing that i haven't changed is the actual dish on the roof. so even an RG6 swap didn't stop it from boot looping.
    Last edited by jeffg1; 05-11-2023 at 06:48 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 21x in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staticrider View Post
    >Eliminate the RG6< Disconnect both ends and use a Fluke meter to see if there is a short between the threaded part of the F-Connector (Ground) and at center copper core. It should be open. If it is open then short out the other end and check again for >0< ohm's. Remove you self induced short & if both check ok the cable is good. The power supply (the one that plugs into the wall) can cause many different problems including constant reboot if supplied CURRENT is not enough. Voltage will check OK but current won't. After eliminating the RG6 you can hook up an LNB. It does not have to be mounted in the dish, just to the other end of the RG6 and see if you still have reboot problem. If it don't then hookup to the dish. If it starts rebooting then your problem is in the dish or power supply.
    It does not boot loop when there is no rg6 connected...
    Last edited by jeffg1; 05-11-2023 at 06:48 PM.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 21x in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staticrider View Post
    I will try a direct connection to an LNB that isn't mounted, thanks for that idea.

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 197x in 76 Posts
    Items Tractor

As i did report back, that i tried each LNB individually, on both sats 91 and 82. Why would i replace skip straight to swapping out the DL 200 module if i didn't test it with and without it? I have been around alot longer then you may think.
    these posts are 3 weeks apart and nothing in between... all you said was you were going to bypass the switches ... I see no confirmation that you did
    thank you all, i am going to try to bypass the switches, i did already try different power cables with the same results.
    hey guys just wanted to update as i got around to it now, so what i have done is changed the from the double lnf and sw 21s to a dp quad, and replaced the rg6 cable. still getting a ton of boot loops on the dream link. the satatlie is being installed on a shingle/wood roof. and i have not yet grounded the satalite dish, but will the grounding improve this?

thanks
    anyway, since you've been around as long as you have, then maybe you can explain why it's not working

22. The Following User Says Thank You to really_troubled For This Useful Post:

Satfix Buxs
    Thanks
    Thanked 197x in 76 Posts
    Items Tractor

just like you said you were going to try what I suggested

nowhere did you reply with the results ... did you connect the rg6 without anything connected to it or not ?
    Last edited by really_troubled; 05-11-2023 at 09:17 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast